Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Google and MySpace -- Predicted after the Fact

Well, I have to call this very interesting. I could say that Darwood and Smitty -- looking back from the future -- told me to include this in the book. But then you wouldn't take me seriously.

I was honestly looking at referencing a merger between Google and MySpace in this first book on Darwood and Smitty. I simply hadn't crossed that bridge yet in the writing. Then low and behold, I ran into this article today, and that promptly kills that idea for the book. The merger is happening. You can read the article here.

You know, inventors often come up with the same idea at the same time, and it's been suggested that this is because that idea is floating around in the mental sphere, and anyone working along a given line can snatch it out of the air, so to speak.

Even if that's the case, my prediction after the fact is probably a little more mundane. Google and MySpace are the two Internet giants right now. In a world of mergers, seeing them join probably doesn't take much imagination. Shame on me for thinking of putting it into a book.

No comments: